American cockroach the larger species among roaches found in household situation and are commonly found frequenting the drains, sewers, manholes etc. where its moist and dark and has high humidity and decaying organic matters.
- Ootheca is 6-8 mm long and dropped a day after its formed
- Each capsule contains 14-16 eggs and in two parallel rows
- Egg stage lasts for around 30-45 days
- Young nymphs are grayish-brown and will mount 9 to 13 times before reaching adulthood.
- Young nymphs are wingless and turn more reddish brown with each molt.
- Nymphal to adult stage varies from 6-7 months
- Adults are reddish-brown with a yellow border on the back.
- Males have wings extending slightly beyond abdomen and Female till the abdomen
- The adults live for almost a year
- Male: has both Stylets and Cerci at the end of abdomen
- Female: Has broader abdomen than males
Feeding habits and behavior
- Feeds on variety of foods but decaying organic matter is preferred over others
- Get strongly attracted to fermenting liquids, syrups and sweets
- Adult can survive 2-3 months without food but they can live for only one month without water
- Adults and nymphs are common around manholes in sewers, dark and moist areas, undersides of chamber lids etc.