Dry Wood Termite
Because of its ability to attack even small articles of wood, this species is considered the most serious termite pest.
There are many reasons for its pest reputation
- It is a medium sized termite
- It can easily get transported from one place to another
- It can exist, feed and breed on very small pieces of timber and articles of furniture, as it makes small colonies
- It does not have contact with ground, and its moisture requirement is small, and it is able to exist on timbers moisture content
- Reproductives leave the colony and setup new ones in dry wood close by
- Damage is very difficult to detect, as no outward signs are present in the initial stages
- The winged reproductives are attracted to light and spread rapidly in this way.